Wednesday, October 31, 2007

New master cylinder

I removed the original rusted-out master cylinder several months ago. The fittings aren't tight because I will be removing it when I clean out the brake fluid reservoir. I also might need to get some copper gaskets for the front brake fittings. I'm definitely going to use some teflon tape.

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Turbo tierods

After removing the front calipers and rotors I discovered that the previous owner had replaced the passenger side tierod with a turbo tierod. I found the other one in one of the boxes of parts I got with the car.

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Getting to work

I saved myself a lot of greasy work buying a car with no engine. Right away I decided to replace all the brake parts. The rotors on the car were all rusted out and the first time I stepped on the brake pedal it went straight to the floor. So I removed all the old, rusted stuff and threw the rotors in the recycling bin. I decided to try rebuilding the front calipers and bought the rebuild kit from pelican. It will be awhile before I know if what follows was done right. I don't claim to be any kind of expert on this subject. An earlier yard sale purchase came in handy for removing the pistons.

The yellow clamp holds down one piston while the other gets pushed out. It takes a lot of pressure to just get the piston moving. The foot pump keeps it in control.

The piston pops out after awhile. To remove the other piston I used a piece of silicone rubber and a thick copper disk to seal the opposite cylinder.

With the open cylinder sealed, the pump is connected to the caliper brake line again and pumped until the other piston pops out.

I used ethyl (denatured) alcohol and a soft brush to clean the pistons. Over time they collect a lot of rust deposits and other grunge. The alcohol loosens it all really well.

Seating the piston seals into the cylinder groove.

Two clean pistons. I tried electro-cleaning one but that was a disaster. The hard part was cleaning the inside of each piston.

The stamped metal piece has to fit before the piston gets pushed in since you can't turn the piston once it is seated.

This one looks about right. The stamped piece can be removed so the bellows can be installed.

That's one caliper complete. I still have to get the pins for it and put the brake pads in.

Friday, October 26, 2007

In January of 2007 I decided to try my hand at converting an older IC car to an electric one. After researching the subject I decided to work on a Porsche 914. I saw a lot of success with this model and liked the how they turned out. I started looking for a good candidate and after a few weeks found one up in Benecia, about 60 miles from where I live. The seller said it was in very good condition but missing the engine and transmission. So the next weekend I went up there with a car trailer in tow, my come-along and 50' of 3/4" rope. The seller, a police officer, told me his son had bought the car from him several years ago and had started to restore it. He had done all the body work and had it painted. Then he pulled the engine and transmission to get them rebuilt and they were stolen from the shop where he left them. Soon after he moved to the east coast and the car sat in the front yard, behind some bushes for 3 years. It took a few hours of hard work with jacks and the come-along to extricate the car from it's resting place since a truck up on blocks was beside it. We had to skid the rear wheels on some soaped-up boards, using the come-along to get it around the truck. Then I used the come-along to pull the car up the ramp of the trailer. It was a lot easier unloading the car when I got home. I washed off three years of leaf debris that had gotten through the cover and opened all the plugged-up drain holes. A real nice looking car!