Monday, March 31, 2008

Pressing Bearings


I had a mechanic press the bearings in the early model hubs. The fit was so close I didn't think I would be able to do it. On Friday I went over to Parts Heaven, a Porsche dismantler in Hayward. It really is heaven for anyone restoring old Porsches. I left with a set of rotors and bearings. They were a lot easier to press in than the earlier ones. I used a piece of oak to pound in the inner race and 1¼" wrench socket to drive in the outer ones. After a lot of pounding they were all well seated and my neighbors must have been relieved that it went quickly. The inner bearing and seals go onto the axles, before the rotor goes on. One was a tight fit and had to be driven on with a hammer and a piece of tubing and the other went on easily, but with no looseness.



Another coat of paint on the mud guards and I'll be able to put everything on. I have a set of 320i calipers and ordered some more metric fitting hard brake lines.

No comments: